Five YMCA facilities across Auckland are offering access to hot showers for those affected by the storm that swept across the city on Tuesday night.
Graham Hill, YMCA’s Group Manager of Recreation, says Aucklanders are welcome to visit one of six YMCA facilities across the city for a free hot shower if needed.
“This is the least we can do to help support our communities,” Hill says.
“It’s been a big event for Auckland, and there are indications that power outages may continue for a few days.
“YMCA is here to help, and we encourage anyone affected to drop by one of the six YMCA facilities open for community access.”
Participating YMCA’s include:
- YMCA North Shore - 5 Akoranga Drive, Northcote
- Ellerslie Leisure Centre managed by YMCA - 46 Michaels Avenue, Ellerslie
- Lagoon Pool & Leisure Centre managed by YMCA - 29 Lagoon Drive,Panmure
- Mt Albert Community & Leisure Centre managed by YMCA - 773 New North Road, Mt Albert
- Lynfield Leisure & Youth Centre - 16-18 Griffen Park Road, Mt Roskill (**Closed Thursday night due to power outage**)
The above facilities are open from 6am to 8 or 9pm on weekdays, and from 8am on weekends. Check you local facility for specific opening times.
Some YMCA facilities suffered damage during the storm, including a damaged roof at Onehunga War Memorial Pools whose indoor pool will remain closed until repairs are made. The Onehunga fitness centre and outdoor pool remains open.