We are now in pursuit of a Senior Outdoor Instructor to join our enthusiastic team at Shakespear Lodge. This is a full time role, 40 hours per week predominantly working Monday to Friday.
YMCA Outdoors provides high quality educational and fun outdoor programs for schools and community groups, providing a wide range of activities such as Archery, Climbing, Kayaking, Bush cooking, Mountain biking, Coasteering, Orienteering and more. The work will vary week to week depending on bookings, which may include weekdays, weekends and overnight stays.
What will you be doing?
- Managing the Outdoor Instructor team including scheduling shifts
- Recruit and induct any new outdoor instructing staff.
- Manage the activity training and carry out continuous monitoring
- Prepare the activity programme prior to delivery, and oversee residential holiday programs
- Conduct, record and report daily deployment briefings and end of day reviews with the instructional team
- Ensure the instructing team delivers activities in a professional manner to ensure a quality learning experience for all participants.
- Facilitate activities using the ‘challenge by choice’ philosophy.
- Ensure all activity equipment is stored correctly
- Review current and contribute to new activity safety management system.
- Manage equipment safety checks and maintenance as per YMCA Outdoors policy.
- Assist with the camp’s social media presence, providing regular updates of camp activities and upcoming events
- Host and facilitate client groups, providing them with ongoing customer care and communicate with the wider camp staff regarding the group’s requirements.
What experience/skills do you need?
To be a successful Outdoor Instructor for YMCA you need to be passionate about the outdoors, love working with children and all ages, be able to excite others and share your love of the outdoors, as well as the following attributes:
- Confidence in talking to groups
- Physically active and able to be on your feet all day, often exposed to the outdoor elements (if you don’t like getting wet or muddy this isn’t for you!)
- Flexibility to work shifts including some weekends and overnights
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with children
- Have your own transport and full drivers licence
- Experience working with children and/or camps
- Ability to think on your feet, be creative and have strong communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate groups and team building experiences
- Experience managing Outdoor Instructor teams for at least 2 years
- Relevant certificates, qualifications and technical skills including; First Aid (PHEC preferred), NZQA L4 or L5, or NZOIA equivalent
- Experience in developing and delivering outdoor programmes
- Knowledge of water safety and experience with water based activities
- Awareness of environmental concerns/impact.
What the YMCA offers:
- Professional development, career advancement and safeguarding training
- Working in a community-focused environment
- A great team, organisational culture
- Free gym membership and discounts on YMCA services e.g. childcare, holiday programmes, sports leagues, etc.
ABOUT YMCA NORTH
For over 165 years, YMCA has been about families. Join our team and know that you’re contributing to building strong kids, families and communities now and for many years to come. Our team of 700 people covers operations across health and fitness, recreation and aquatics, early childhood education, before and after school care, holiday programmes, accommodation, outdoor camps, fundraising and youth programmes. YMCA North is proud to have a great mix of people of all ages and cultures who love their work and all contribute to our diverse company culture. We live by our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.